Have you ever wondered how to make mouthwatering drip cakes? Drip cakes can be described as dreamy and decadent!
Today we are talking about how to make the perfect drip and drip cake tutorials.
You have probably seen these trendy chocolate drip cakes all over your Instagram and Pinterest feeds. You can use a variety of colored chocolate or go with the classic dark chocolate drip that makes a beautiful contrast to smooth buttercream.
The first thing to know about making chocolate drips is understanding the type of drip you want to make.
Do you want a dark chocolate drip? Then you will need semi-sweet chocolate and heavy cream to make a ganache. Do you want a fun colored chocolate drip? Then you will need colored candy melts and warm water to make water ganache. I go into great detail within each tutorial, but I wanted to give you an overview before you begin.
Keep in mind, there are many recipes for chocolate drips out there, but this is what method I use regularly.
These drip cake tutorials below show you how you can make your drip cake creations at home. Choose from designs like a romantic melted candle cake, rich dark chocolate, and Guinness cake or an ice cream cone cake that looks like it melted on a hot summer day.
Tips for success:
- Read through all the ingredients and instructions so you can get a better idea of how much time and what you need to make these cake.
- Food coloring gets darker over time, so it’s best to gradually add the food coloring, which is best for lighter colors.
- Serve cake at room temperature.
- Before we begin, each recipe as each own amount for ingredients, but the method is the same and important to read over.
Option #1: How to Make White Chocolate Water Ganache
- In a medium glass bowl, melt white (or colored) chocolate candy melts and water in the microwave. Heat for 30 seconds at a time until the chocolate candy melts have mostly melted.
- Then mix with a rubber spatula. Continue to mix until the chocolate and water are well combined and streak-free. If there are chunks of chocolate, melt for 10 seconds at a time until the chocolate is fully melted or pour the chocolate into a fine mesh sifter to remove any chocolate lumps.
- Pour the chocolate into a squeeze bottle for a comfortable grip for decorating. If chocolate drip becomes too cold and hardens, then heat in the microwave for 5-10 seconds, shake or stir to make sure its all the same temperature. Don’t overheat or chocolate will separate, and you’ll have to remix.
Option #2: How to Make Dark Chocolate Ganache
- Add semi-sweet chocolate chips to a small microwavable bowl. In another small microwavable bowl, heat the heavy cream to a light simmer for about 1 minute.
- Pour hot, heavy cream over chocolate chips. Allow chocolate to melt for 1 minute. Use a whisk or rubber spatula to mix the chocolate and cream. Mix until its velvety smooth. If chocolate is still not melted, heat in the microwave in 15-second increments. Pour into a squeeze bottle for more control and smooth dripping.
Putting It All Together: How to Drip Chocolate Over the Cake
- Drip the chocolate drip over the sides, squeeze using different amounts of pressure to create longer or shorter drip lengths.
- Then when the sides are covered, remove the lid from the squeeze bottle and pour the chocolate drip over the top and use an offset spatula to smooth it out.
Here are 9 Cool Chocolate Drip Cake tutorials that anyone cake make!
Let’s Get Decorating!
1. Funfetti Birthday Cake
Do you wish that every day can be your birthday? Making this foolproof funfetti birthday cake is like celebrating your birthday anytime you want! Funfetti birthday cake is a moist vanilla cake studded with rainbow sprinkles, so it looks like confetti, hence the name Funfetti! It’s a celebration in every bite. This foolproof funfetti birthday cake is a fun and festive cake that instantly transports you back to your childhood.
Get the recipe here Funfetti Birthday Cake
2. Campfire S’mores Cake
When summer is here, and cravings for ooey-gooey campfire roasted s’ mores will begin! This campfire s’ mores cake is made from a fluffy homemade vanilla cake with a graham cracker crust layered with creamy milk chocolate buttercream and toasted marshmallow meringue. This cake has all the flavors of campfire s’ mores packed into a delicious dessert.
Get the recipe here Campfire S’ mores Cake
3. Melted Candle Cake
There’s no better way to celebrate the holidays than with this super cute cake. This white chocolate melted candle cake has the wow factor to impress your friends and family! The real showstopper for this cake is the ivory chocolate drip; it’s made with melted ivory candy melts and warm water. The many layers of white chocolate drip falling down the sides of the cake make this cake everything!
Get the recipe here Melted Candle Cake
4. Ice Cream Cone Drip Cake
This is a fun and festive Ice Cream Cone Drip Cake for people of all ages to enjoy. Fluffy, moist vanilla cake studded with funfetti rainbow sprinkles, coated in creamy vanilla buttercream, and hot pink chocolate drip. The ice cream cone drip cake is a trending cake design that has picked up popularity for its extreme cuteness and festive summertime theme.
Get the recipe here Ice Cream Cone Drip Cake
5. Chocolate Guinness Cake
This Chocolate Guinness cake is rich and decadent, especially with a smooth ganache drip running down the sides of the cake! Guinness is a dark rich beer that lends itself to pair perfectly with chocolate. The sweetness of the chocolate compliments the bitter notes of the Guinness beer. Guinness is used in the cake and the frosting, so you know it’ll taste delicious!
Get the recipe here Chocolate Guinness Cake
6. Spiked Rum Eggnog Cake
This simple Eggnog Cake recipe is the perfect Christmas dessert. The classic Eggnog drink lends itself easily to be turned into a decadent dessert. I wanted to keep the cake design simple, so you can focus on the flavor that packs a real punch! Now you’ll be able to snuggle up with a blanket and enjoy a cup or a slice of this eggnog cake!
Get the recipe here Eggnog Cake with Cream Cheese Buttercream
7. Chocolate Peppermint Swirl Cake
There’s no better way to celebrate Christmas than with this chocolate peppermint swirl cake. This cake recipe is a perfect Christmas dessert that everyone will love! The dark chocolate cake recipe is a total crowd pleaser and is something I have been perfecting for ten years. It has a light sponge texture and always stays moist. Learn how to make this chocolate peppermint swirl cake that’ll have you singing Christmas carols!
Get the recipe here Chocolate Peppermint Swirl Cake
8. Rainbow Drip Cake
Learn how to make this bright and festive rainbow drip cake that’s colorful inside and out. This rainbow drip cake is made with soft layers of funfetti cake, vanilla rainbow buttercream, and white chocolate dripping down the sides. What I love most about this cake is how you can take simple baking and cake decorating techniques and turn them into an impressive cake!
Get the recipe here Rainbow Drip Cake
9. Nutella Hot Chocolate Cake
Looking for a tasty Christmas cake this winter season? The dark chocolate cake is light and fluffy, and it’s not too sweet, which makes for the perfect balance with the Nutella buttercream and marshmallow fluff. With all these ingredients, layered together this rich and decadent cake tastes just like a cup of hot chocolate. Serve your holiday guests a piece of this cake with a nicely lit fire for the perfect winter night!
Get the recipe here Nutella Hot Chocolate Cake
You May Also Enjoy:
- Rainbow Drip Cake (tutorial)
- Common Baking Mistakes & How to Avoid Them (free ebook)
- How to Decorate Your First Cake (free course)
- Cake Decorating Tool Kit (24-piece kit with free shipping)
Now that you have a better understanding of how to make a chocolate drip cake, I’m confident you’ll have a blast making your own drip cake creations!
If you feel like you need more information or have any questions about baking and decorating, I’m happy to help because I love this cake community so much, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org so I can serve you better!
Hey, if you liked this tutorial, you really should check out, Cake Decorating Creator Program, my online cake course. I coach you on everything I teach on these cake tutorials so that you can uplevel your baking and decorating skills. We 10x it so you get the results you want most. Like any new skill, it’s important to learn from the ground up to build a foundation, so take on any cake challenge. It is an investment your future self will thank you for. Check it out at XOKatieRosario.com/online-cake-course. I will see you there.
Watch The How-to Video Below:
Pin it! Save it for later!
Every Thursday, I'll send a new baking or cake decorating tip to help improve your skills or learn something new. Add your name and email to get the next one!